Our condolences to the Meng family on the passing of Don Meng. Don was a tireless supporter of Newton, the downtown, and its business community. He will be missed.
Our next Town Council meeting is Monday, August 26th at 7:00pm.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Lorraine's office has prepared the minutes from the August 12th Regular and Special meetings for consideration and approval.
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This is for those that wish to address the Town Council but do not plan on staying for the whole meeting. There is a note to the public on the agenda to please keep their comments to a maximum of 5 minutes. This allows ample time for all whom wish to speak and keeps the meeting moving forward. The public can speak on any matter.
COUNCIL & MANAGER REPORTS
There are two ordinances for second reading and public hearing:
Ordinances 2013-22 will amend Chapter 320 relating to commercial vehicles and add definitions to the age restricted housing section.
Ordinance 2013-23 will authorize the lease between the Town and the Newton Fire Museum, Inc. for the Fire Museum building.
- Newton Fire Museum – this will be carried to the September 11th meeting as Tom and Cory do not have cost figures as of this writing.
Resolution #145-2013* will cancel the current appropriation balance for the emergency pool repairs.
Resolution #146-2013* will authorize the refund of redemption monies to an outside lien holder for Block 14.02, Lot 28.
Resolution #147-2013* will authorize that a premium not redeemed for a tax certificate be turned over to the Treasurer.
Resolution #148-2013* will concur with the Town Manager’s appointment of School Traffic Guards for the upcoming school year.
Resolution #149-2013* will appoint Meghan Gill as an alternate member of the Planning Board.
Resolution #150-2013* will approve bills and vouchers for payment.
Application* there are two applications for your consideration:
- An application from Omar S. Leak, 16 Woodside Avenue into the Newton Fire Department.
- An application from Haylie Coombs, 78 West End Avenue into the Newton Fire Department as a Junior Firefighter.
There are three items for discussion:
- Water Conservation Ordinance – Jessica Caldwell and Deb Millikin will be in attendance to discuss the proposed ordinance. A draft copy has been shared with you on the Google Drive.
- Drainage Study – Harold E. Pellow will be in attendance to discuss the study.
- Inoperable/Unregistered Vehicle Ordinance – Chief Richards will be in attendance to discuss the proposed ordinance. A draft copy has been shared with you on the Google Drive.
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
COUNCIL & MANAGER COMMENTS
THE WEEK IN REVIEW
Morris Lake was 6 inches below the top of the spillway on 8.19.13.
Tilcon will be onsite starting Tuesday, August 27th milling Kelsey Avenue, Hillside Terrace, Maple Avenue and Cedar Street. On Friday, August 30th paving will occur on the streets with completion estimated for Tuesday, September 3rd.
M. Sky will begin work on the sidewalks on Spring Street on September 3rd.
The wet tap connection was made on Tuesday on Diller Avenue. The Water and Sewer Department and the DPW crews will begin construction on the watermain on Howard Street on Monday, August 26th.
Stay safe and have a great weekend!